what? instant/space is an alternative service from burnham design, which offers clients do-it-yourself custom-designed spaces for a reasonable fee.
who? instant/space is for prospective clients who don't really want or need burnham design's full range of services. some may want to address only one or two rooms in their house; others may have a limited budget; still others may want to do their own purchasing based on a design “master plan” for their rooms. regardless of their different motives, all of these clients share a desire for a personalized design experience, want to be actively involved in the design process, and have an appreciation of the burnham design aesthetic.
where? instant/space clients can live almost anywhere in the country. most correspondence is done via email and internet. design resources are accessible locally or on-line.
how? first, we need to get a sense of our prospective client’s taste. we ask instant/space clients several design-oriented questions, and request digital photos of the rooms they want designed, as well as photos of the exterior of their homes. we ask clients to measure their rooms for us (we walk them through this part to make it easy). once we determine the client’s design direction (i.e. classic, modern, mid-century, eclectic, etc), we create a personalized master design plan.
four to six weeks after placing an i/s order, the client receives, for each room, a linen-wrapped (12.5" x 9.75" x 2.75") presentation box containing burnham design's master plan for the room, which includes:
• a personalized design concept board (using color images, magazine tears, sketches, etc.) to be used for design inspiration for the room
• a detailed schematic furniture plan, drawn to scale, with specific furniture pieces selected and resourced
• a book of specific fabric materials, samples of wallpaper and/or paint, flooring, tile, and hardware
• a detailed shopping list of resources - both local and on-line - for all design elements
• a step-by-step explanation of how to pull all the elements of the presentation together using this personalized plan, the client is free to follow our parameters as closely or as loosely as they want.